Friday, December 21, 2007

cabbages and condoms

I'm typing in the Captian Condom Lounge of the Cabbages and Condoms veg-friendly thai restaurant in Bangkok.

Nora became sick about four hours into our 17 hour flight, and began to vomit, etc, for the remainding time. We were able to find her a bed in first class in which to rest (she had to stay away from a monk who was residing near by -- since a woman cannot sit near a monk, apparently). She was in complete misery until we landed and took a seat in the luxurious Mercedes that Four Seasons sent for us. She improved a bit, but we had to call a doctor yesterday who now has her on antibiotics.

Meanwhile, Willie and I have been exploring this sprawling and intriging city. WHich is at once the most modern city in which I have ever stayed, and also the most mired in poverty. The food, in either case, is incredible. We have been traveling by this beautiful new sky train, and then proceeding on foot through winding channels of foot carts frying, roasting, and char-broiling every imaginable edible plant and animal. The smell of those sizziling snacks, mixed with sewage wafting from below the street, and the bubbling channels of the city is the most incredible concoction I have ever inhaled.

We are off to see a lady boy show tonight, and then to Chiang Mai tomorrow. I'll write more when I have a minute. My love to all!

No comments: